Kos island is known as the “island of cycling” and quite understandably too, since its flat morphology makes the bicycle an ultimate means of transportation for going from A to B at ease and with ounces of style! Along the same lines, walking around the island becomes very interesting too.
Having ensured your stay at Aqua Blu Boutique Hotel & Spa which is located in Lambi beach at close proximity to the main town and the harbor, all you have to do is pick and choose your walks in the most interesting parts of the island as listed below!
· The Old Town via a promenade that will have Eleftherias square as its starting point and Apellou street as a finishing point. On your way back, head towards the Ancient Agora and the island’s port.
· The exact spot where Hippocrates –the father of medicine- began to teach his pupils the art of medicine. Nowadays called the Tree of Hippocrates, it is the largest plane / platane tree in Europe. At walking distance, you will also come across the Hippocrates Botanical Garden where you will discover the rich flora of pharmaceutical herbs that the father of medicine used in his practice. At 4 km southwest from Kos town you will find the ancient monument of Asklipio which depicts the considerably important ancient Medical School of Hippocrates dating back to 2nd century BC.
· The beach of Thermes, situated at 10 km south of Kos town. It is a pebbly beach with characteristic dark volcanic pebbles and warm seawater due to the hot mineral water springs nearby. The beach is so beautiful that walking along the shore will seem very appealing as far as the sun is shining regardless of the time of year you are visiting.
· For tourists and visitors keen to explore the ancient Greek monuments, Kos island is indeed one of the best destinations where the parallel strong influences from Italy and Minor Asia will be equally noticeable and intriguing. The areas of Asklipio and Old Pili, as well as the Castles of Nerantzia and Antimachia are worthy of your visit.
· Platani village or Kermetes – as it is otherwise called – constitutes the old Turkish settlement where you should head to for an acquaintance with Turkish and Asia Minor gastronomy in any of its numerous tavernas. Combine with a long walk and admire buildings and housing.